Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Our imminent takeover of Kazakhstan

We have successfully invaded Germany and are preparing for our imminent takeover of Kazakhstan. Our flight here was non-eventful. Getting on the flight, however, had its moment of drama… It seems I lost a little track of time at the Borders that was a short jaunt from our departure gate. After a thorough perusal of all my options, I made my literature choices and then leisurely strolled over to the mini-mart next store, mulled over the diet soda selection, considered buying some more candy for my host family, imagined what candy I would buy if I were to buy some, finally just decided on a bottled water and a Diet Dr. Pepper, completed my purchases and wandered back toward the gate. Then I saw the clock. It couldn’t possibly be right. The reason why it couldn’t possibly be right is because it read 5:41. And my plane was scheduled to fly into the air at 5:45.

I didn’t really react at first because I was positive there must be some mistake. In the split second between my mildly interested confusion and my hitting the holy effing @#*! panic button, I concluded that airports don’t usually post conflicting time devices because that would sort of screw up that whole little thing they call a schedule. By some struck of sheer dumb luck, we just made it as they were closing the doors. Needless to say, the airline folks were not amused with me. The flight attendants were not amused with me. Matt was certainly NOT amused with me.

So, by the skin of our teeth, we have indeed completed ¾ of our flights. We have an hour left here in Frankfurt before we complete 6 more hours of flying and arrive in Almaty in the dead of night to meet our new bosses. Tally ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment